I’m happy to announce the release of my new free crochet pattern Snowman Coffee Cup Cozy. I hope you have as much fun making and using this cozy as I had designing it for you!
A FREE version of the pattern is provided in this post. The pattern is available on Ravelry for a small fee for those who prefer the convenience of a PDF pattern download.
[button-red url=”http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/snowman-coffee-cup-cozy” target=”_blank” position=”center”]Purchase Pattern PDF on Ravelry[/button-red]
Basic Pattern Information
About the Pattern: I came up with this cute little snowman on a chilly rainy day with even colder weather on its way. What a fun way to add some cheer to a cold day!
Make a whole set with different colors so the entire family or guests at a party can quickly and easily recognize their mug!
Skill Level: Easy
Gauge: 14 sc and 16 rows = 4”
Sizes: One size
Measurements: 3-3/8” tall x 11.25” outer circumference
Small amounts of worsted weight yarns
I used the following colors:
Aqua for scarf and hat
Grass Green for scarf
White for face
Black for hat and mouth
Yellow for nose
Size US 7/4.5 mm crochet hook or size needed to obtain gauge
Two ½” black buttons
FSC: foundation single crochet
RS: right side
sc: single crochet
SSC: standing single crochet
WS: wrong side
FSC: The FSC is a single crochet with an actual chain stitch at the bottom of the stitch.
Instructions: Place a slip knot on hook, ch 2, insert hook in 2nd ch from hook, yarn over and pull up loop, ch 1, yarn over and draw through 2 loops [first FSC made], *insert hook through 2 loops of ch at bottom of previous FSC, yarn over and pull up loop, ch 1, yarn over and pull through 2 loops [second FSC made], repeat from * to make the number of FSC stitches required by pattern.
Magic Ring: Donna Hulka’s tutorial is available here on our blog.
Standing single crochet (SSC): Place a slip knot on hook, insert hook into stitch, yarn over and pull through loop, yarn over and pull through two loops.
When first starting with this stitch, you may need to experiment with the amount of yarn you pull up to ensure your SSC is the same height as your regular sc stitches.
Please read all notes prior to starting project.
1. The pattern consists of 3 rounds and 11 rows. Pay attention to the turning instructions given in the pattern.
2. SSC stitches count as regular single crochet stitches throughout pattern.
3. Finish off & weave in ends at the end of each color.
4. Using a magic ring to make the nose eliminates the small hole in the center of the circle. Leave a long enough tail for sewing nose onto cozy.
5. The pattern is very easy to customize:
a. Add or remove FSC stitches to fit the circumference of your mug.
b. Add or remove as many rows as necessary to fit the height of your mug.
c. For a narrower handle, work a total of 35 sc in Row 2 and 1 ch in Round 13.
d. For a wider handle, work a total of 33 sc in Row 2 and 3 ch in Round 13.
[button link=”http://www.crochetville.com/community/files/file/525-snowman-coffee-cup-cozy/” size=”large” style=”download” color=”teal”]Download Snowman Coffee Cup Cozy PDF Pattern[/button]
Round 1 (RS): With Aqua, FSC 36, join with slip stitch in first FSC to form ring. TURN. (36 FSC)
Row 2 (WS): With Grass Green and WS facing, SSC in first FSC to right (right-handers) or left (left-handers) of join in previous round, sc in each of next 33 FSC. TURN. (34 sc)
Row 3: With Aqua, SSC in first sc, sc in each of next 33 sc. TURN. (34 sc)
Row 4: With White, SSC in first sc, sc in each of next 33 sc. TURN. (34 sc)
Rows 5-10: Ch 1, sc in each sc across. TURN. (34 sc)
Row 11: With Black, SSC in first sc, sc in each of next 33 sc. TURN. (34 sc)
Row 12: With Aqua, SSC in first sc, sc in each of next 33 sc. TURN. (34 sc)
Round 13 (RS): With Black, SSC in first sc, sc in each of next 33 sc, ch 2, join with slip stitch in first sc. Do NOT turn. (34 sc, 2 ch)
Round 14 (RS): Ch 1, sc in each sc and ch across, join with slip stitch in first sc. (36 sc)
Finish off and weave in ends.
Making the Nose (make 1):
Nose Option 1: With Yellow, make magic ring, ch 1, 8 sc in magic ring, join with slip stitch in first sc. Finish off and weave in ends.
Nose Option 2: With Yellow, ch 2, 8 sc in 2nd ch, join with slip stitch in first sc. Finish off and weave in ends.
- Attach the snowman face pieces to the left or right of handle opening, depending on your preference.
- Place eye buttons and nose on cozy in a pleasing arrangement, being sure to leave enough room to sew on the mouth.
- Sew the nose onto cozy with the yarn tail.
- Sew buttons onto cozy with needle and sewing thread.
- Use a tapestry needle and black yarn to sew on a mouth.
Show Off YOUR Snowman Coffee Cup Cozy
We would love to see pictures of your finished snowman coffee cup cozy. Here are some quick and easy ways you can share your finished projects with us:
- Upload a photo to the Crochetville Facebook page.
- Upload photos of your project to the Holiday and Seasonal Show and Tell area of our social community message board site.
- Create a project page on Ravelry using this pattern link.